POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Noise3d and Megapov 0.5 : Re: Noise3d and Megapov 0.5 Server Time
2 Oct 2024 10:19:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Noise3d and Megapov 0.5
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 28 Jun 2000 11:13:55
Message: <395a1633@news.povray.org>
"Philippe Debar" <phi### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
| I'd like to have all versions avalaible, with no #version switch necessary.
| Either using different names (bumps, bumps2, bumps3, koppbumps, jeromebumps)
| or using a "type" keyword {bumps{type 2}}.

<repetition>
Hmm, and others might call that scripting clutter to have so many keywords
which are basically the same thing having personal distinctions about how they
ought to work.  Not that I'm against more additions or anything, just that
there must be a correct way and incorrect way a feature works.  For instance
you wouldn't want two 'color' keywords, one that is the way it is now and
another that inverts the rgb into bgr?
Sorry, I realize I'm chiseling at a valid point you're making.  The various
ways everything is done should be within reason or it would be out of control
I believe.  Priority needs to go to physical correctness and I have no qualms
about that, even if the breaking of old scenes is caused.  All this has been
rehashed again and again, sorry for this redundant message.
All keywords being able work together would mean a consolidation of the
programs source I guess.  Maybe that could be something planned for version
4.0 at least.  Just as long as there isn't straggler code in it like
acceptance of POV-Ray 1.0 or 2.0 syntax.  '#version' is obviously only a
compatibility feature, having no redeeming value other than to confine parts
of source code to their respective areas.  Anyway, I'm only interested in all
of this from afar, it's not something I know about from the inside.

Bob
</repetition>